Friday, December 7, 2012

Life Skills - Day 7

How to Make Homemade Butter
Yes, this is a life skill. Especially if you are like me and your favorite food is bread, which just happens to go very well with yummy butter (I'm also very partial to garlic and herb olive oil, but that's just me). Anyways, I knew that I needed to find easier tasks to do, and this looked pretty easy, so I decided to give it a try. These are the two recipes/directions that I used: Butter 1 and Butter 2. I probably should have done it the semi-old fashioned way and shaken it by hand to get a workout in (before I proceeded to eat all of this lovely butter), but I didn't. It's Friday . . . therefore I have a right to be lazy tonight right? The mixer made it very easy, and I used both cheesecloth and then a strainer to get all of the buttermilk out and then rinse the butter with cold water so it lasts longer. Here are the photos of my progress:
Start with heavy cream

Look . . . whipped cream :)

Whoa . . . butter!

Butter after squeezing out buttermilk

Ha . . . I have a butter friend ;) 

Homemade butter

Butter and buttermilk

I knew there was a reason I made homemade bread today

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment