Saturday, December 15, 2012

Life Skills - Day 15

How to Make Shortbread
I apologize if you are getting sick of my baking blogs that really aren't true life skills, but I was still feeling under the weather and not up for a lot of the other ideas I had (or didn't have anyone available to teach them to me), so I had to resort to another new baking challenge. It turns out, shortbread isn't that challenging (much easier than the other idea I had, but I didn't have time for that one unfortunately . . . maybe another day). Anyways, I figured I was on an international cooking kick (filet/fillet, souffle) so why not head to a different country and try to make some shortbread to rival the Scottish "Walkers" that is beloved by so many. I wondered if it was really worth it to try and make it at home or if I should just go buy some because I hadn't had any for a while and was in the mood for some. So I asked the internet, and I found (thanks to this article from Bon Appetit: Is Homemade Shortbread Worth It?) that indeed it is worth the effort. The recipe was a Martha Stewart creation, and she hadn't steered me wrong when I learned how to fold a fitted sheet (see Life Skills Day 2), so I decided to try it. I was a little surprised that shortbread doesn't have any shortening in it, but I followed the recipe nonetheless. I got a little nervous when I saw how dense the cookie dough was, but I continued. Then I was worried that they weren't mixed well enough when I felt variations in the dough when pricking it and saw it rising unevenly in the oven. But in the end, it was pretty even, and looked rather nice. For my first attempt, I think it turned out well. So the life skill here (that I'm reminded of so often) is probably: don't worry so much :) 
The very dense dough
Pressed and scored, ready for the oven
Finished, and cut apart. Yummy and buttery, ready for Christmas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment