Monday, December 31, 2012

Life Skills - Day 31

How to Make Coffee
Capturing the whole beans
It probably shouldn't surprise you anymore that I haven't done some pretty common things, but this might be the most common of them all. I don't drink coffee, and I don't own a coffee maker, so I never saw the need to learn how to make it. But as so many people do, I figured it couldn't be that difficult and that I should learn. Luckily, my lovely friend (the Ganache Queen), has a coffee maker, and as we were going over to her house tonight for some New Year's Eve festivities, she told me I could use her maker to make my first pot of coffee. In preparation I went to the store and tried to figure out how to grind my own coffee (as I decided that should be part of this experience). Before I even got to that though, I had to figure out what kind to get. This is my issue with coffee . . . there are so many flavors and they all smell so good . . . why don't they taste like that? I wanted to give coffee a chance though, so I picked a flavor that I thought would be an especially good end to this year: "Icing on the Cake". 
Figuring out the grinding machine
With my coffee in hand (after I figured out how to use the grinder . . . it's pretty simple actually), I headed over to my friends house to brew my first pot of coffee. As most of you know, this is a simple task, and I'm glad I had something easy to end the year on. Just put a coffee filter in the machine, add the coffee (we made weaker coffee than the package suggested, only ~4 Tbsp. of ground coffee for 5 cups of coffee), put the correct amount of water in, and press the start button. It worked wonderfully and the coffee making was a success. The coffee drinking on the other hand . . . not so much. I tried it black = gross, I put some milk in it = still gross, then I added some sugar = better but still bitter, and then we made it into pumpkin spice lattes. It was some recipe she found to make in the crock pot . . . interesting, and definitely an improvement, but I still couldn't get over the bitter flavor. Sorry coffee, this is not your year. I became a fan of Chai tea this year though, so I think that's good enough. To all of you who love coffee, it's all yours. I think I'm too much of a fan of hot chocolate (especially minty stuff with marshmallows in it) to switch :) 
Hooray, ground coffee
The set up
Success :)

No comments:

Post a Comment