Friday, December 21, 2012

Life Skills - Day 21

How to Make an Angel Food Cake from Scratch
Let the baking blogs begin :) I hope you are all ready for this baking extravaganza I will be having for the next few days. Today I am making my dad's birthday cake. Every year he requests an angel food or confetti (angel food type) cake, and this year was no exception. The only thing different this year was that I decided to try and make it from scratch instead of using the easy peasy box mix. (I wasn't even brave enough to try this during my cake month) This was probably a bad idea, but I'm waiting to eat it to decide for sure. First of all, here is the recipe that I used: Angel Food Cake . . . this looks like a pretty fun blog that I will have to continue to visit in the future. I followed her directions pretty exactly, except I didn't want that many egg yolks to be wasted so I used powdered egg whites:
The egg white powder reconstituted
 I was really hoping it wouldn't make a difference, but it may have a little bit. Here is the pre-cooked cake. I added in some sprinkles to make it a confetti cake and just prayed that the extra additive wouldn't make my batter too heavy to rise. I also may not have mixed it quite enough because I was so scared of deflating it, but I won't know for sure until I cut into it.
Before cooking
 I let it cool in the pan overnight, and then the next day, removed it. This was the result:
Slightly more crumbly, and not as tall or even as the boxed kind. At least it was made with love right?
 Then I made my customary "7-minute frosting" (Fluffy Boiled Icing), but it didn't turn out quite right. I have noticed Allrecipes.com switching some of the recipes after I've bookmarked them, so perhaps the recipe was a bit different, but I didn't have nearly enough frosting this time, and it was really thick (it seemed way too thin so I added the 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar like the recipe said, but obviously I shouldn't have). So I am rather disappointed in my cake, but my husband was nice enough to help me cover it in sprinkles (which improves the look I think) and I'll leave my final judgement until I taste it. Plus, I think my dad will love it anyways :)
Good enough :)

No comments:

Post a Comment