Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Life Skills - Day 26

How To Strum a Guitar in the Flamenco/Mariachi Style
Over Christmas break, I got to spend quite a bit of time with relatives that I don't get to see very often, so I wanted to try and learn from them and see what I might find. Lo and behold, my brother who is really good at guitar decided that I needed to learn a new guitar technique. I already know some guitar basics, but this was something I never knew before, and it sounds pretty cool, so I figured it was worth learning. I didn't get any videos of what I was doing, but here are a few pictures:
Practicing
 It's a pretty simple concept actually, just like counting to 4 on your fingers. Just forcefully count on your right hand while on the strings and have your index finger on the lower strings and play to the higher strings as you continue flicking your fingers from index to pinkie. I won't say that I am a pro at it yet, but with a little practice I think I'll be able to do it pretty well. I just switched back and forth between A minor and E chords and it sounded pretty cool, especially when my brother started playing a melody line on top of the chords I was playing.
As you can see, I haven't played my guitar in quite some time . . . oops.
So while this isn't a necessary life skill, I still think it was fun to learn and learning from those around me was a goal of this month, and this fits the bill :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment