Thursday, January 26, 2012

Rock Climbing - Day 26

My husband was more of a fan of climbing with a rope
Today is the day I had been waiting for, the day my husband finally decided to come climbing with me and see what all the fuss was about. He had been climbing before, but not recently, so when I told him he had to come to be my photographer (he gets the credit for all of the pictures of me climbing that I've been posting), he was apprehensive, but agreed.

We ended up climbing for two and a half hours (he had to get his money's worth since he just paid for a day pass) doing both bouldering and clip-in top roping. It was fun to get to climb higher than I can while bouldering, but it was hard for me to remember that it was okay to fall because I had something to catch me. On one of the more difficult climbs later in the night, I started to slip and instead of just letting go and being okay, I scrambled to hold on to anything I could and ended up banging my shin pretty hard on one of the rocks. I finished the climb (although I didn't stay on the marked route for the last few holds since I was anxious to get down and inspect my shin) and then noticed that it was starting to swell up pretty quickly. It also was very squishy which I'm guessing meant that there was blood in there but luckily I hadn't broken the skin so there was no mess. I thought maybe I should sit down and not climb anymore, but after my husband climbed up another route I had to climb a few more times before we called it a night. My "battle wound" joined my scratch from Day 24 to give me one lovely shin.
Ouch
Funny that I got my most serious climbing injury while climbing with a buddy and a rope . . .go figure. Oh well, it was still a great night :)



1 comment: