Thursday, January 12, 2012

Rock Climbing - Day 12

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! Winter has finally arrived, and much later than usual. This is our first real snowstorm of the season (January 12th), and it sure made driving interesting. Since my drive to Boulders took quite a bit longer than usual, I shortened my climb time (hmm that rhymes...I made a climb time rhyme :)) to 40 minutes. The gym was rather empty today, probably due to the snow.

Today I made a discovery, I figured out why I can't finish some of the V1s - the root cause goes back to me just not being gutsy enough to go for some of the long reaches that are required to finish them. On two V1s I can get to the penultimate hold (ooo I used a big word, but I will admit, I only know that word because of watching Top Gear), and no further. There is one route in particular that I can easily touch the final hold, but not quite reach the top of it to grab it, and I don't know how good of a hold it will be and it's rather high for a bouldering route. Basically, I'm afraid of falling. I get discouraged watching other people complete it (mostly guys since they have a longer reach than I do), but I am determined to get this one! The determination comes from the fact that the rest of the route is so fun and has really nice holds, I want to conquer this one . . .stay tuned for the stunning conclusion of "Vanessa vs. the rock" (at least I hope it will be stunning) :)
All I need to do is reach my right hand up to that blue V (not the blue & green V)...I can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment