Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cake Madness - Day 27

Cake of the Day: Chocolate Covered Strawberries Cake
February is winding down, and I've got quite a few cakes under my belt now (figuratively and literally), so I decided it was time to make up my own cake. I know, the Bear Claw cupcakes were my invention too, but they were cupcakes. I wanted to make my own real CAKE. Instead of trying to come up with my own recipe though, I took my favorite parts of many other cakes and put it all together to make one ultimate cake. 

I couldn't get those Penguin cupcakes off my mind, and since the original recipe was for a cake, not cupcakes, I decided I had to make that as my base cake. Next, I had a little bit of the "Strawberry Dream" frosting from the Neapolitan cake left over and it was definitely calling my name as a filling. I am not even that big of a fan of strawberries, and I think I could eat that stuff every day, forever, it was so good. Now, since chocolate and strawberries go so well together, I didn't think I needed too much more for this cake, but it could only be better if I covered the whole thing in the chocolate ganache from the Boston Cream Pie "cake". Yes . . .epic. 

 The "Strawberry Dream" frosting was a little hard to spread, so I microwaved it, for a little too long. Then it was a bit too runny and as you can see, there was a real danger of my layers sliding off each other, but thankfully, it held together (even if it was a little crooked).
 I think it could have used a little more filling, but then it probably would have fallen apart, so it turned out pretty perfectly, if I do say so myself. Here is what other people had to say about it:

  • Best cake so far IMO ("in my opinion", for those of you who don't speak text-ese)
  • Best 1 yet
  • M-m-m-m-m Scrumpdelicious!
  • Excellent cakes. Exceeds perfection.
I think they liked it too :)

1 comment:

  1. Cakezilla thinks this is the best of all worlds. Demands MOAR cake goodness, but realizes he's gotten a bit heavy for a ...zilla.

    ReplyDelete