Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cake Madness - Day 21


Cake of the Day: Black Forest Cake
Today was my triumph over conventional cakes. We had Service Awards at work today (people who have been with the company for a “milestone” number of years, 5, 10, 15, etc. get a small gift and recognition from their boss) and there is usually cake and ice cream afterwards. So when I walked in to work this morning with my cake carrier, the HR lady laughed and told me I should have brought my cake in on a different day (she didn’t know I was making a cake every day) because there were three large sheet cakes today. I wasn’t deterred, and put my cake out anyways. Now, I don’t know if people were spurred on by the cakes they had to wait to eat (Service Award cakes) and then saw mine and ate it because they could have it right away, or if it was just better, but my cake was gone by 9:30. The service award cakes (I know, there were three of them so this is not quite a fair comparison), but they were served at about 10:30 and there was still some left at 1:30 (I figured people would eat the remainder very quickly after lunch). So, I was happy about that. Not that the other cake wasn’t good, it was (yes I had more than one piece of cake today . . .oops), but mine got eaten faster J

Here is the recipe I used for today’s cake: Black Forest Cake. I had maraschino cherries left from the pineapple upside-down cake and was planning on using those, but as I went to start making the cake, I looked a little closer at a few recipes and realized I had made an error. Black Forest Cake is made with canned sour cherries (not maraschino cherries or cherry pie filling), so another grocery store run was required. Luckily, my husband went for me while I started working on the other aspects of the cake.
I think it turned out okay, even the homemade chocolate curls (I followed these instructions: Chocolate Curls). Here are the comments about today’s cake:
  • Great cakes. Always good. High quality!
  • Very good cake, I liked the whipped topping and cherries.
  •  This one is probably one of the Top 3 so far.
  • Wonderful. Light fluffy frosting. Nice cherries. Perfect!

And my favorite comment, made by my friend from Kenya:
  • “Tamu Kabisa” – Swahili for “So tasty”  J

I’m not usually a big fan of chocolate and cherries, but the chocolate cake with the whipped cream on it was really yummy. I’d call this a success J

1 comment:

  1. Cakezilla approves of fruit and chocolate! SUPER NOMS. Save the cherries for last.

    ReplyDelete