Saturday, February 18, 2012

Cake Madness - Day 17

Cake of the Day: Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
When doing research for this cake, I found that the most accepted way to make it was in cast-iron skillet. Well, I don't have one of those, but luckily a coworker was kind enough to lend me one, even though this was a weekend cake (don't worry, I saved a piece to take in on Monday to show my gratitude). The first thing I realized was that the skillet is really heavy! (Side note about that . . .for those of you who have seen the Disney movie "Tangled", there is a clip where she twirls the skillet around her dainty little finger . . .yeah, not possible. But anyways, "frying pans, who knew?" :)) Next, I set about figuring out exactly how to use it without ruining it. There are so many dos and don'ts out there for using, washing, and seasoning cast-iron that I was sure I was going to either wreck it or wreck my cake, but luckily, neither of those things happened. 

I made this cake for a friend who invited us over to see the new house he is living in and he also got a new 3-D TV (which we watched "The Lion King" on . . .good times). He was excited about Pineapple Upside-Down cake, so I decided to give it a try. I had forgotten to buy a pineapple and cherries on my most recent grocery trip, so I literally ran to the grocery store closest to our house (and ran back no less . . .it's difficult to run with cans/jars of liquid things in your hands) to pick those items up. Once I had all my supplies, I started on the cake. Here is the recipe I used: Old-Fashioned Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Sauce and fruit in the pan . . .I left the cherries whole, I think they look prettier that way

Right after it came out of the oven

Although I was really not in the mood to make a cake today (perhaps because it's Friday?), I'm still glad I made this one as it was another first for me. It ended up being pretty tasty, and everyone liked it
 :)
Finished product

3 comments:

  1. Cakezilla laughs at Lion King. As if a Lion could be king when Cakezilla is around. Cakezilla declares supremacy, and is second only to the cake baker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me so hungry.
    And Cakezilla makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could have been here to try all of my cakes. Cakezilla makes me laugh too :)

      Delete