Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Cake Madness - Day 6

Cake of the Day: Funky Monkey Banana Cake
Okay, this project is getting a little out of hand. I was seriously so stressed today trying to get this cake done, you have no idea. I know I brought this upon myself by picking such tedious cakes, but honestly, I almost had a mental breakdown in Wal-Mart tonight. I was very close to bribing a small family to buy a "Child's Play" bag of candy so I didn't have to spend the $5 just to get the two Tootsie Rolls I needed, and I panicked a little when the check-out lady said she didn't think they made Runts anymore. Luckily a friend at work had advised me that the Dollar Tree had a good selection of candy and I made it there ten minutes before they closed. A big thank you to the Dollar Tree girl who was awesome and got me my Runts (you can't have a Funky Monkey cake without the little bananas). Then one last stop at a gas station to find some Cow Tails and finally, at 9 pm, I was ready to start my cake. You see why this challenge is more time consuming than rock climbing?

The cake wasn't too bad to make, and my husband was a dear and made the cream cheese frosting for me, which left me time to figure out how to fashion monkeys out of Tootsie Rolls. I just had to make this cake, it looked so cute here: It's A Jungle Cake, and since there were monkeys on the cake, I thought a banana cake would be fitting. This recipe worked wonderfully: Banana Cake VI. Seriously, try this cake, it was like banana bread, but better.

I got tons of comments about this cake, and have been called the Cake Lady more frequently. Here are some of the best comments:

  • Cake Lady, your kids are going to be so lucky
  • Funky, most interesting. Your cakes rock. Please supply the Weight Watchers points values (ha - or not)
  • Good balance of flavor, lots of banana flavor without being cloying. The frosting was just the right sweetness. The only problem is that I fear you may have made it too delicious.
  • Nice banana base. Frosting smooth, blends with cake well.
  • Excellent!!!!!
  • Yummy! I love banana flavor so I thought the cake was really good and great flavor. But the cake looked so cute that people were trying to avoid cutting into the monkeys :) 
  • Very cute, tastes great. Excellent job. 
  • Looks too good to eat
  • A+ Tasty and very creative
  • One of the best decorated cakes I have ever seen, very cool. Also it tasted awesome!
So that makes all that stressful candy hunting worth it :) 
Cow tail and Tootsie Roll trees, Milk Dud coconuts, Tootsie roll monkeys, leaves of green apple licorice and watermelon Air Heads, banana Runts and a squished lemon Dot for the sun . . . fun

8 comments:

  1. Cakezilla Swings from trees to noms. MOAR Monkey! ROAR

    ReplyDelete
  2. The artistry of this cake is amazing! Who cares how it tastes! I'd love to just eat the decorations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cake tasted better than the decorations...you should try the recipe!

      Delete
  3. I think that this many cakes is way more crazy that a month of climbing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been more effective to make cakes the month before rock climbing ;) Super cute job! i should email you some scans from a william sonoma cake making book i have!

      Delete
    2. Andy - You are completely correct, this is way crazier than climbing every day.

      Sarah - I thought the rock climbing would be the craziest so I wanted to get it out of the way right away . . .I was wrong about that!

      Delete
  4. I've never seen Cowtales incorporated into a cake before, brilliant! I love Cowtales. Also, that cake looks and sounds amazing! I am borrowing that banana cake recipe for future plagiarizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it, and by all means, steal the recipe and go make it - it's so yummy!

      Delete