Saturday, February 4, 2012

Cake Madness - Day 3

Cake of the Day: Rainbow Party Cake
My first two cakes had gone over wonderfully at work, but now was the tricky weekend schedule. The cake I made today (Friday) would be served Sunday at my Bible study group, and Saturday's cake would be served at a party Saturday, and the cake I make Sunday will be for work on Monday . . .it was quite a challenge to figure all this out, but it worked.

I had made this cake twice before (once for Kenyan Independence Day since I work with a girl from Kenya, and once for a friend's birthday) but each cake has been a bit different. I knew I wanted to make this cake again because it is relatively simple to make (uses boxed cake mix and frosting) but looks really impressive. Also, when I realized that both Super Bowl teams had essentially the same team colors, making this colorful cake for a Super Bowl party I was attending made a lot of sense.

Here is where I first found the recipe: Amazing Halloween Rainbow Party Bundt Cake (the lady might be a little free with her decolletage, but she knows how to make a cool cake). I'm not really into Halloween, but I figured I could change the colors however I wanted and did so successfully (the Kenya cake was red, green, and black, and the birthday cake was black, white, and purple). To frost the cake, the frosting was put into baggies this time and used that way so it didn't leave large glops of frosting like it had when I made the Kenya cake. The finished product was not too bad, crazy looking, but good. I think many people at the party were impressed, especially the kids, and the best comment I got was: "If I were going to make a cake like that I wouldn't know where to start, oh yes I do, I'd talk to you" :)
Red, blue, white and black for the Patriots and Giants

Everyone is impressed with the surprise inside 
The cake wasn't completely eaten at the party (because a lovely couple celebrating their 7th anniversary brought in a huge cake made by the same baker who made their wedding cake; it was so good and beautiful), but one of my friend's hosting the party is a teacher and she took the leftovers in to the teacher's lounge the next day and I guess it was a hit there too. Yay :)

3 comments:

  1. Cakezilla Got blue cake dye on his leg. BOO blue goo!! Cakezilla demands more cakey tasty pastries! Less blue goo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! George says you are just amazing!! I'm amazed at how this cake turned out!!
    You really have a talent! I think "The Ace of Cakes" on Food Network needs to sign you up!!
    Love, MUM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cakezilla,

    no worries, it looks great with your grape soda.

    ReplyDelete