Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Cake Madness - Day 13

Cake of the Day: Strawberries and Cream Victorian Sponge Cake
As it is the day before Valentine's Day, I wanted to make a cute Valentine's cake to take in to work tomorrow. One of my coworkers is British, and she shared with me her mother and grandmother's recipe for Victorian Sponge Cake. I figured I could do something cutsie with it, thus my choice for today.
Two layers of strawberry jam sandwich a thick layer of whipped cream 
For those of you who don't know, a traditional Victorian sponge cake is filled with jam and fresh whipped cream, so that's what I did. Here is how I made the whipped cream: Whipped Cream from Scratch, it's so tasty (and so easy with my KitchenAid mixer). I must say, this is one of my prettiest cakes to date:



Here are some of the comments this cake received:
  • Good stuff
  • Loved the filling and the strawberry flavor. Frosting was great.
And my British friend and cake sponsor said:
  • Oh my goodness!! It is exactly how my mom makes it. You did a great job. It is soooo good :) :) :) :) 
I think that means it was a success :)


1 comment: