Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cake Madness - Day 11

Cake of the Day: Angel Food Cake
What better cake to take to a Bible study group than Angel Food cake, or at least that was my idea when choosing today's cake. My dad is going to be sad he missed this one . . .Angel Food cake is his favorite. This is actually the same cake I made for his birthday last year, but with differently flavored frosting. I wasn't feeling ambitious enough to make the cake from scratch, so it was another boxed mix, but it always turns out so well, I feel it was justified. To compensate for my lazy cake making skills, I did make homemade frosting using this recipe: Fluffy Seven-Minute Frosting. I think it kind of tastes like marshmallow fluff . . .yummy :) 

The set up
The interesting part of today's cake was not the cake however, it was how it was decorated. I feel that tons of fluffy frosting covered with colored nonpareils is just the perfect topping for Angel Food cake, but I always run into the problem of how to get the nonpareils on the side of the cake. I'm guessing many of you have encountered this same problem? My usual method is to take the container and shake it really hard and hope that some of them stick while most of them go flying around my kitchen. As I had just cleaned the floor, I wasn't keen to have it covered with little colored balls, so I enlisted my husband to help me again . . .he's an engineer. 
The plan was this: place the cake at an angle and then bounce the nonpareils off of a hard surface (we used our marble cheese board) onto the sides of the cake. He did the angling and the sprinkling while I "drove" the cake by turning it on my cake stand set at an incline (we used a photo album). Sheer brilliance I tell you . . .it worked great, and with hardly any mess! Everyone at Bible study loved the cake...another success story.
Finished product

Sprinkles are fun
One thing I learned from today . . .it is good to be married to an engineer :) 

2 comments:

  1. Cakezilla owns PHD in cake eating ~NOMS~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. I am sad that I didn't get to eat a piece. I guess I will just have to wait until my next birthday. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete