Friday, February 17, 2012

Cake Madness - Day 16

Cake of the Day: Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake
I will admit I've made this cake before, but not this exact cake, so it was still sort of a new experience. As you may have guessed by now, I like to bake, so when my husband asked for a boxed cake mix as his birthday cake last year, I was a little disappointed. I thought, "Does he really like boxed cake better than any other dessert I make?". I was determined to make it a little bit more special than that, so I made his requested "Funfetti" cake but topped it with homemade frosting and put a surprise inside . . . ice cream! I found the cool idea here: Ice Cream Tunnel Cake. Needless to say, he was very surprised when he cut into his cake (and very confused about where it was (hiding in the freezer) when he couldn't find his birthday dessert anywhere) :) 

For the ice cream cake this time, I decided on a boxed marble cake mix (since I love marble cake with ice cream) and filled it with mint chocolate chip ice cream (as requested by my cake sponsor). I wish I would have gotten mint chocolate chip ice cream that was actually green, because I think the white confused people and didn't contrast as much with the marble cake, but it still tasted good. Here are some pictures of this cake's progress:
Hollowed out cake

Topped with ganache, notice the seam where I cut the cake?
Unfortunately, I got a migraine at work today, so I was very thankful that I'd gotten up early and baked the cake in the morning (and that my husband was a dear and took it out of the oven for me after I had to leave for work). So when I got home, I just had to tunnel out the cake and throw it in the freezer and then go try and sleep off the migraine. It was one of the weirdest migraines I've ever had...I've never seen an aura before and it was a little trippy . . .I thought I was going blind. Luckily, I felt better after my nap and was able to finish the cake. I topped it with the remaining ganache from the Boston Cream Pie Cake (oh so yummy) and it was complete. I think it looks a little better covered in frosting so the seam is hidden, but I wanted ganache with the mint ice cream . . .it still worked.

Ice cream center

Here are some of the comments for this cake:
  • Va-Va-Vooom
  • I finally got a piece :) Good, I normally don't like mint.
  • Very good. Nice flavor with the mint chocolate chip ice cream - not overwhelming. Yum
  • HOW DID YOU DO IT?!

So, although it was a little melted by the time I got it to work, it was still well received and I think I'm starting to get into a cake making routine :)

1 comment:

  1. Cakezilla gets tasty ice-cream shivers with every bite.

    ReplyDelete