Sunday, February 26, 2012

Cake Madness - Day 25

Cake of the Day: Neapolitan Cake
My three cakes for today
Mmm, this cake turned out great. I would have to say it's been one of the best so far. It was super yummy and looked really impressive without being too difficult to make. Here is the link for the recipe: Neapolitan Layer Cake. (My cake doesn't look exactly like hers, but I'm still really happy with it.) I whipped up two of the three cakes (vanilla and chocolate) in the morning, then made the third cake (strawberry) and frosting and did the assembly in the afternoon. I know, one cake out of three cakes, pretty crazy right? Well, it did turn into one very tall cake!

The frosting with this cake was very interesting, I have been making quite a bit of frosting this month, but never anything like this. I really liked it, I called it "Strawberry Dream Frosting". In between the layers I spread homemade strawberry freezer jam. This worked very well as it was sort of runny and added an extra moistness to the cake (the vanilla cake was a little dry without it). 
Very tall 6-layer cake
Since this was such a complex cake inside, I kept the decorations simple on the outside. The frosting didn't pipe like the others had and my little stars looked more like plumerias, but that was fine by me. I encourage you all to try this cake, I know the recipe looks a little intimidating, but it really wasn't difficult, and turned out very yummy :) Everyone at my Bible study group really liked it, just don't tell your eaters how many sticks of butter you used!
So good, and I'm not even all that crazy about strawberries.

1 comment:

  1. Cakezilla thinks this looks suspiciously like ice-cream. Is super tasty, but needs something to counteract excessive butteryness.

    ReplyDelete