Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Tale of Two Cities Movie Review

This is the version of the movie that I rented from the library: Masterpiece Theatre - A Tale of Two Cities.


  • The first thing I noticed about this movie was that it was not following the book in the order it was written, but in chronological order. This is okay, but one of the big surprises at the end of the book is the first thing that the viewer is presented with in the movie (Dr. Manette denounces the Evremonde family in a letter he writes while imprisoned in the Bastille). 
  • Lucie is unfortunately was not as pretty as I had pictured her in my head. I'm pretty certain she is supposed to have blond hair, not strawberry-blond curls, but on well. 
  • The opening words of the book "It was the best of times, it was the worst of time, etc." are spoken by Mr. Carton when Mr. Stryver tells him about the French Revolution.
  • Madame Defarge & Sydney Carton's true characters are much easier to see early on. 
  • The son of Lucie & Charles was not mentioned, nor was the fact that both children loved Mr. Carton.
  • The ending was not quite as complete as the book, and I was disappointed at the omission of the descendant of Charles & Lucie who was named Sydney and how he had a wonderful reputation and learned about the brave things his namesake had done. 
  • Overall it was a pretty good rendition, but as is almost always the case, the book was better :) 

I hope you have enjoyed reading about my journey through "A Tale of Two Cities" . . .how has your reading been going? 

No comments:

Post a Comment