Monday, March 5, 2012

A Tale of Two Cities - Part 3

Book 2 ("A Tale of Two Cities" is divided into 3 smaller books and the chapter numbers start over again here)

Chapter 1
  • The times are described as the "triumphant perfection of inconvenience" . . .does that sound familiar to you? It seems like an apt description for our time as well. 
  • I can honestly say I've never heard of anyone who thought that the A.D. in 1780 A.D. stood for "Anna Dominoes" before. I don't know who he thought she was or why she was so important, but I find that pretty funny. Mr. Dickens has a sense of humor after all.
Chapter 2
  • Wow, the description of the punishment for treason was really gruesome. I don't want to record all of what was listed, but there was parts about ripping insides out and burning them and chopping heads off, ick, it really sounds awful. 
  • The Manettes (Dr. Manette seems to have recovered his sound mind) are at this trial for some reason, the accused is a 25 year old man. They are there as witnesses against him . . .hmm.
Chapter 3
  • The trial takes place, and the prisoner, Mr. Darnay, is acquitted because one of the lawyers,  Mr. Carton, has a striking resemblance to him. Hooray for reasonable doubt. I don't know much about these people yet, but if Miss Manette wants to see Mr. Darnay not harmed, then I feel that this is a good thing. 
  • I just realized that the messenger named Jerry who delivered Mr. Lorry's message during that strange stagecoach incident is the same man who is the messenger for Mr. Lorry at the trial. I didn't think we'd hear from him again. 
Chapter 4
  • Perhaps it is too soon in the book to decide to dislike to someone, but I don't like or trust Mr. Carton. Sure, he managed to get Mr. Darnay acquitted, but he hates Mr. Darnay and seems jealous that Lucie (Miss Manette) pitied Mr. Darnay and paid no attention to him. I hope he doesn't cause any trouble.
Chapter 5
  • "Botheration" . . .what a fun word.
  • I can't quite make out Mr. Carton or what is going on with him . . .he seems like a very strange man.

Readers, any feedback on these next five chapters? When I sat down to read "A Tale of Two Cities", other than the opening line, I hadn't even the vaguest idea of characters or plot line of this story . . .are you in the same boat? Did you have to read this in school perhaps? Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment