Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Tale of Two Cities - Part 5

Chapter 11

  • Uh oh, two guys are after Lucie now. Mr. Darnay is a bit shady, but I definitely like him better than Mr. Stryver. Should we turn this into a "Twilight-esque" battle? "Team Darnay" vs. "Team Stryver"? Who would you root for?
Chapter 12
  • Whew, I'm glad Mr. Lorry talked Mr. Stryver out of trying to marry Lucie. Mr. Lorry seems to know what's what, and he did a good job standing up for Lucie. I'm a little afraid Mr. Stryver will try and do something mean with all the power and influence he has now . . .I sure hope not. 
Chapter 13
  • Wow, I did not expect perfect honesty and a declaration of love for Lucie from Mr. Carton, of all people. It reminds me (dare I say) of when Mr. Darcy proclaims his love for Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice. It's nice to know that Lucie will have someone to help her in the future . . .I have a feeling she'll need it.
Chapter 14
  • Riotous funeral procession of the Bailey Spy, Roger Cly (The Bailey is the courthouse). The man who died was one of the men who was accusing Darnay during his trial at the beginning of the book. 
  • Jerry Cruncher (the messenger man) is weirdly nervous about his wife "flopping" aka praying against him, even though she says she is praying for him.
  • I'm really disliking Jerry Cruncher now too. He treats his wife horribly! I feel so bad for her. It seems Jerry is a grave robber of sorts? It is too bad that young Jerry (his son) looks up to him so much. 
Chapter 15
  • OOO! Madame Defarge's kitting is a code . . .how cool. I can't wait to watch the movie to see how they depict her recording things in her knitting.
  • I guess the man who murdered the Marquis is the father of the boy the Marquis killed with his carriage, not a big surprise there. The father is hanged for his crime, and the "Jacques" meet to discuss it.

The book went along so regularly for many chapters, and then BAM, three chapters in a row of declarations of love for Lucie. It seems kind of odd, but now we know the true feelings of some more of the characters. What I am most interested in is finding out what Madame Defarge's kitting code is all about. What strikes you as the most interesting thing in these chapters? 

2 comments:

  1. Just catching up on your blog again. It seems March floated away from me and suddenly it's April. But that's not so bad.
    Anyway, I will have to read the book! Hopefully your wonderings and musings will help me figure out what's going on when I read it... someday.
    I want to knit in code! Consider it done. It will be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do hope you learn to knit in code, that would be so cool! I would like to see it in person as the depiction in the movie left something to be desired.

      Delete