Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Tale of Two Cities - Part 4

Chapter 6

  • Mr. Lorry goes to visit the Manettes. Miss Pross (the "wild red woman", I'm glad she showed up again) reminds me of Dixon, the maid of the Hale family in "North and South", a novel by Elizabeth Gaskell. If you haven't read that . . .you should. It's similar to "Pride and Prejudice", I think, but it is so good. And then, go watch the BBC miniseries: North and South, one of my favorites :) 
  • Both Mr. Carton and Mr. Darnay come to visit as well . . .this is starting to get interesting. 
Chapter 7
  • Very sleepy again tonight, and I can't say this chapter helped keep me awake. I was very confused by the whole "Monseigneur" thing, I don't know enough French to know how that title is different from "Monsieur" . . .anybody know? 
  • Ooo . . .the Marquis seems like a horrible man. He ran over a child with his carriage and tries to pay off the father to appease him. Obviously this Marquis guy has no kids or cares very little for his "subjects". 
  • Defarge tried to calm the father down so the Marquis gave him some money too, but the money was thrown back into the carriage, but we don't know who threw it, Defarge disappears, and Madame Defarge finally is described as "looking" instead of "seeing nothing" as she was described before. 
  • "Time and tide waited for no man . . .", that line sounds familiar, I didn't know it came from here. 
Chapter 8
  • This chapter describes the utter poverty in the town where the Marquis lives. It seems that there was a "spectre" (a man perhaps) under that Marquis' coach . . .what in the world? 
  • The Marquis says he is expecting "Charles", I hope Mr. Charles Darnay is not who he is referring to . . .I would not want him associating with such an awful  man.
Chapter 9
  • Alas, it is Charles Darnay that shows up. It turns out he is the nephew of the Marquis. 
  • The  Marquis is murdered in his bed . . .by whom? The "spectre" perhaps? The scene of this night was very detailed, but I'm not entirely certain what happened. 
Chapter 10
  • Yay, finally a love story :) I've been waiting to figure out who the "good guys" are and looking for someone to relate to. This is more my kind of plot now :) 

In just a few short chapters, a lot has happened. The book is finally starting to be interesting to me, but I must say I'm an still pretty confused as to what is going on. Anyone else feel the same way? Anything you'd like to see me write more or less about? 

No comments:

Post a Comment