Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Tale of Two Cities - Part 2

Chapter 1

  • Although I thought I got into the "Classical" mindset while reading the preface, I'm finding that I have to read each sentence twice quite often to fully grasp what Dickens is saying. Sentences were much more complex back then. 
  • I liked his interesting comparison as Fate being a Woodsman and Death being a Farmer . . .those two things are not usually personified.
  • My friend really likes the first and last sentences of the book (the famous "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, etc.), but I really like the last paragraph of the first chapter. The stage is set for the characters, and now they all must continue "along the roads that lay before them" . . .an interesting take on life.
Chapter 2
  • Curious incident occurs with a stage coach . . .the suspense is building. I'm realizing how much I've missed reading and how many details, details that your eye easily overlooks in a movie, are brought to your attention in the book. It really helps paint a mind-picture, which I like.
Chapter 3
  • My eyes are getting very heavy by this time. I am really tired from all that cake making, working all day, and having a 3 hour long meeting after that. I need to remember to start reading earlier at night. 
  • Wow . . .has this man that they are talking about really been buried alive for 18 years? That sounds so scary. And how in the world does an unassuming banker get involved in something like that?
Chapter 4
  • Mr. Lorry has breakfast and meets up with Miss Manette. I enjoyed the funny encounter with the "wild-looking" red woman. Mr. Lorry says, "I really think this must be a man!". I can only imagine what she looks like. It seems she is going to France with them too, I look forward to reading more about her. 
Chapter 5
  • This was kind of a gross chapter that described how the common people were using any means possible to drink some wine that had spilled in the street. I know alcohol kills germs, but still . . .gross.  I think it is foreshadowing all of the blood that will soon be flowing in the streets of Paris. This impromptu party will soon be over. 
  • I do feel sorry for the poor people of Saint Antoine though. The book describes them as prematurely aging because they are all so hungry. I can't imagine living like that and feel very blessed when I think of all the things I have and that I've never known hunger like that. 
  • Monsieur Defarge is introduced . . .I don't really understand why everyone is called Jacques though . . .some kind of inside joke?
  • It turns out that Defarge is keeping Miss Manette's father secured in an upper room . . .he has kind of gone crazy and lives along making shoes. What will become of him? I'm glad he has been reunited with his daughter at least. 
  • Madame Defarge is introduced as well . . .she is described as always knitting and seeing nothing, but she always seems to know what's going on. Perhaps she just has very good ears? She seems like an interesting character, I wonder what her role is in this story. 

Well, there you have it readers, the first five chapters. You're going to go and start reading now so you can answer some of my questions for me, right? :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment