Saturday, November 30, 2013

2013 - Week 48

Hello from Week 48 :)

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Due to the holiday week, we had a few fun firsts. It was our first Thanksgiving in our new house, and although I woke up with a migraine, it still ended up being an awesome day. Some of our lovely friends brought over their Thanksgiving leftovers when I was not feeling well enough to go to their house, so even though I felt lousy all morning and slept most of it, I still got turkey and all of the fixings, and got to spend a whole day in our new house. I did get quite a bit of laundry done too . . . hooray for having a washer and dryer in my house :)
Thanks Bill & Kathi for all of the tasty food :) 
We also ventured out for our first ever Black Friday shopping experience. I don't like to give in to the consumer culture too much, but there were some great sales at our local home improvement store :) We clipped the items out of their weekly flyer before we went and knew exactly what we were getting, so it was pretty painless. We didn't even have to get up early :)

Since our TV is still not set up, I counted the walks that we went on with my in-laws over Thanksgiving weekend as my exercise for the week. It wasn't too cold out, so the walks were rather nice :)

I did make a few recipes this week, but nothing too exciting. I made the roasted cauliflower that I had made before (still good as ever) as well as the Panera Bread focaccia bread recipe (I use 2 tsp. active dry yeast and 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning mix) and my mother-in-law's pumpkin pie recipe. My husband is the king of pie crust, so he made some wonderful crust while I whipped up the filling. I convinced him to try the braided edge on the pie, and it looked nice until, during baking, half of it fell into the pie . . . oops. Next time we'll have to attach the braid to the rest of the crust better, but it still tasted wonderful.
Braided crust
Pie when it was still beautiful ;)
As far as my crock pot meals good, we had the pork with veggies this week, and it wasn't very good. It was a little mushy, but I guess that is to be expected as it cooked 12 hours (8 hours on low and 4 hours on warm). We still have another one of those, but that's okay...it was filling when served over rice.

That's it for this week . . . see you next week :)

4 comments:

  1. I like the "Batter Bowl" that you are using as you pour your filling into the pie!!
    We are excited to be coming home! Can't wait to see your new home! Luv, MUM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa, It's your cousin Sara. I have been meaning to tell you how much I love your blog, and I have tried some of the recipes you mention here. This morning I prepped 4 freezer crock pot meals from a website that you mentioned. I also recently made these cute heart-glazed cornmeal cookies from one of your blog entries from last February. They are supposed to be for Valentine's Day, but I them for a holiday cookie exchange and everybody loved them! So keep posting all of your awesome projects and recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! Great minds think alike because I made the cornmeal cookies for my (and Jonathan's) work cookie exchanges . . . pictures will be coming soon! Thanks for the encouragement . . . Merry Christmas :)

      Delete