Saturday, November 2, 2013

2013 - Week 44

Hello from Week 44 :) This week has been very hectic as we prepare for our big move :)

My Wii boxing is still going well and my husband is starting to think I'll be able to beat up anyone that tries to mess with me ;) I'm not too sure about that, but it's a good workout at least. My task of knitting is still going well too . . . I started my third skein of yarn for my scarf and I think I should be able to finish it very soon. I can't wait to post pictures, I love it.

For my recipe this week, I'm sorry, but I can't actually give you the recipe. I had some leftover carrots, celery, an onion, some hamburger and some red potatoes from my Crock Pot Meal Prep Extravaganza last week, so I thought shepherd's pie would be a good option. I perused various recipes, and after finding so many that included things that I didn't have or didn't want to use, like canned soup or gravy, I finally decided this one sounded the best: Zippy Shepherd's Pie. I felt like doing it my own way though, so I basically just used that as a guideline (and that is also why I can't give you the recipe . . . I don't really know what I did). I browned the meat, drained off the fat, and then added various seasonings like Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, Pampered Chef red curry rub, salt and pepper. For the veggies, I cooked the onions in a bit of olive oil and then added some chopped up raw carrots and celery, a generous amount of garlic (have you figured out how much I love garlic yet? ;)), and two cups of beef broth. I let that cook, covered, until the veggies were done. Then I fished out the veggies with a slotted spoon and brought the broth to a boil and thickened it with some cornstarch + water. While I was doing all of this, I also had the potatoes (I don't even know how many . . . sorry) boiling and then my husband mashed them into red potato garlic goodness. I mixed all of the meat, veggies and gravy together and divided it between a 9" x 13" and an 8" x 8" pan, then he covered that mixture with the yummy potatoes and I topped them off with grated sharp cheddar cheese (Shh . . . I almost used a whole 8 oz. block of cheese . . . it was worth it :)). I placed them under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese had melted and slightly browned in a few spots. Looking back, I think I would have preferred it without the browned spots, but it was still really good. This was WAY better than my last attempt at shepherd's pie. So, be brave, add flavors that you like, and make up your own shepherd's pie . . . let me know what you come up with :) 
Mmm . . . Shepherd's pie :) 

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy to me! I'm glad that you can use what you have in your refrig to make a yummy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa, I have to say, looking back on last weeks post that you are the only one who takes pictures of their groceries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not true...the lady who's blog I got the recipes from had pictures of her groceries too :)

      Delete