Friday, January 10, 2014

2014 - Book 2

"Where Things Come Back" - Arkansas
Okay, I started reading this US of YA list with the assumption that these were actually good books. I sure hope they improve because I did not like this book at all :(
I feel almost guilty for being so harsh on the last book, because compared to this one, I loved "Shiver". I never, ever stop reading a book that I've started, and I was about ready to give up on this one by page five. It was nothing like what I think a good book should be, and granted, that is my own opinion, but I enjoy books because they can transport me to another time and place and introduce me to new friends and, in the end, give me some sort of joy, hope, and satisfaction in a happy ending. This book was just crude (foul language), scatterbrained and depressing. Not that it didn't have a "happy" ending, but I had no sense of closure or completeness when I finished this, I was just glad it was over. So sorry, Arkansas, I didn't like the book that was picked for you. Here's to hoping the next book is better!

Other than that, I tried a new recipe tonight . . . homemade crab rangoon. I got a cute little Fry Daddy deep fryer for my birthday and finally broke it in tonight. It worked well even though the control freak in me was a little stressed that it had no temperature control dial. The filling didn't really taste like much, and once they were cooked, did not fill very much of the rangoon at all. That might have been my fault for just using up scraps of egg roll wrappers and making crab rangoon sticks instead of the traditional star/cluster shapes. Oh well, I'll try a different recipe next time I guess, and not over cook them . . . oops. I'll get a hang of this deep fryer yet :)
Crab rangoon sticks
Black hole award
To ensure that this post is not entirely depressing (sorry about that), and because I can't believe that I forgot to share this recipe with you guys . . . I present something good and wonderful: crockpot cinnamon almonds. . . YUM. In the midst of all of the rest of my Christmas baking frenzy, I somehow forgot to mention these. They turned out perfectly and are super good. Give them a try, you won't regret it :)
MMM . . . cinnamon almonds :) 
Okay, I'm off to try and redeem the US of YA now with another book . . . I pray that it's better than the last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment