Tuesday, July 14, 2015

2014/2015 - Book 39

"Unearthly" - Wyoming

I was pleased to stumble upon another book that I really enjoyed. I even stayed up late reading it and took it to work to read during my lunch hours. Of course, it's another series, so now I'm (not so) patiently waiting to get the second book from the library. I have always been curious about the Nephilim in the Bible, and what they really were, so the idea of "angel-bloods" really intrigued me. Basically, this is a story about a teen girl finding out that she is part angel and discovering her powers. It really reminded me of the "Starcrossed" series in that way. She also is tasked with her life's purpose and she has to decide if she is going to follow her heart or her "destiny".
Having just driven out to the west coast and visited Yellowstone myself, that scenery was still pretty fresh in my mind, and it also plays a big part in this book. I thought it was pretty well written, and the story was right up my alley, so I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading the next one :)

If you liked the cute crochet baby hat with the flower that I made before, you're going to love this one. It's a crochet puppy hat :) I made the newborn version for a friend of mine who just had a baby, but unfortunately, his head was so big that it didn't fit. So I told her to put it on a stuffed animal and I'll have to make him a bigger size at some point. Kind of a failure in the fact that it didn't fit, but a total success in the cuteness department (sorry I don't have a picture,  you'll just have to take my word for it that it looked pretty similar to the one on the instruction blog).

Now for the recipes :) One of my favorite foods of all time is a good batch of buffalo wings with medium sauce. Not too spicy, but spicy enough be the perfect combination of hot that when mixed with a piping hot chicken wing and some cool bleu cheese sauce makes for an explosive bite of awesomeness ;) I've had chicken wings all over the place, but I think this recipe is my ticket to tasty wings at home whenever I want. The recipe (Buffalo Wings) was spot on for cooking. The wings were crispy without frying, and although I didn't use the sauce recipe that went with the wings, it was pretty similar to the recipe I used, so I figure it would probably be good too. I liked the bleu cheese sauce, but it was not the star of the dish. Also, I can't believe how good the copycat Buffalo Wild Wings medium sauce is. Granted, I wish I could make it from scratch instead of having to start with Frank's Red Hot sauce, and I did use pasteurized eggs because I'm paranoid about raw eggs, but oh well . . . it works, and I'm happy in all my spicy, saucy glory . . . pass the wet wipes ;)
Mmmmmmm
Also, since I've never really made chicken wings before, this video on how to properly cut them up to get the iconic wing and drumette sections and discard the tips really helped me. Not all of the wings were that easy to cut, but this is definitely a good guide.

While I was on a butchering streak, here's a tasty recipe for some Orange Ginger Glazed Cornish Hens. The recipe calls for cutting them in half and then skinning them . . . not exactly a pleasant process with the bone crunching and the slimy raw skin, but it made for a nicely sized portion for dinner. I wasn't able to get all the skin off, especially at the bottoms of the tiny little legs, but it didn't seem to matter. I served them with rice and green beans and they were pretty good. Probably a bit too much work to be worth repeating, but they were good to try and would be nice if you needed something for a fancier dinner.
Well, that's all for this time . . . now to go count down the minutes until I can get the next book in the series. I've been out of the loop of reading for a while and it's so nice to get back into it. Have a great week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment