Sunday, December 28, 2014

2014 - Book 34

"Delirium" - Maine
This was sort of a sci-fi story, and I found it really fascinating. It takes place in an alternate present where love has been ruled to be a disease. All people over the age of 18 get the "Cure", basically a brain surgery that cuts off the part of the brain that feels strong emotions. The government has closed the U.S. borders and major cities are contained within electric fences. All residents are closely monitored and if they are deemed to be "infected", or sympathizers, the consequences are severe. Outside of these cities are "The Wilds" where the uncured, "Invalids" (their identities have been invalidated) live and try to make it on their own. The story follows Lena, a girl getting ready to have the cure performed, whose life is pretty much set in stone (the government decides where you go to college, what you major in, how many children you will have, and each person is given a choice of 4 potential spouses to choose from). Besides tragically losing her parents at a young age, she is relatively content with her life, that is, until she meets Alex. Alex is unlike anyone she's ever known before, and of course, the fact that she is actually talking to a boy is pretty risky in itself. Now Lena must decide what her true destiny is going to be.

This is the first in another trilogy, but I think I will try to make a point to read the rest of these next year because I want to find out what happens :)

Instead of recipes this week, I have two crafty projects to share that I think are pretty awesome. The first one is this ADORABLE baby bear hat:
Isn't that just the most adorable hat???
I had to relearn how to crochet to make this hat, but it went together really easily by following this knit-along video by iKnits: Crochet Bear Hat. I also used this pattern from CrochetRochelle to make the cute little flower: Small Petal Flower.
The bow is on a barrette so it can be removed for a boy's hat
I made the 3 - 6 month size for my soon to be born niece . . . my brother and sister-in-law loved it :) I hope the baby will too.
I enlisted the help of my stuffed Scottie to model it as I didn't have a baby on hand ;)
The second is this cabled hat I made for my husband. It took me almost a year to make it because I was just not motivated to knit, nor did I have a lot of free time during the summer, but I did manage to get it done in time to give it to him for Christmas this year. I think he likes it :) The bamboo circular needles were interesting, I can't say that I really liked them all that much, but they were a good way to make a hat. I just like resting the end of my knitting needle on my lap and that's not possible with circular needles, so it felt like more work. Also, the wavy type of yarn I used was a bit of a problem and the cabled rows ended up getting really, really tight, so they weren't too much fun. The end result was worth it, but I don't think I'll make this pattern again (Snappy Hat). Time to try something new (or make a whole bunch more baby bear hats because all of my expectant mother friends decided they want one now too :))
The cabled hat
Details


1 comment:

  1. Your hat for Eleanor was so cute! I'll forward you a picture so perhaps you can add it to your posts. You are so talented!! Not only can you cook, but knit and crochet as well!! Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete