Saturday, February 16, 2013

2013 - Week 7

Hello from Week 7 :) I hope you all had fantastic weeks. Here is how mine went:

I convinced my husband to come rock climbing with me and I think we did pretty well. He's been working out so he did much better than last time we went, and we worked really well together on finding the routes. I did a little bouldering as well as rope climbing, so that was a nice change. Also, he spotted me a difficult boulder problem that I was too scared to do alone. I got it :) We climbed for about two hours . . . I didn't end up getting to all of the V1s in this month of climbing, but I did almost all of them, got all the V0s, and even a V2, so I still think it was a successful climbing endeavor.

I had only sporadic dreams to record, but Bible reading and daily memory recording has gone well. We're reading about Joseph right now and these songs are just so entertaining (pardon the weird nature of the videos): Jacob & Sons and Joseph's Coat, from "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat".

As for my new things this week, I have a few again:

First, I made these adorable heart-glazed cornmeal cookies for my Bible study group on Sunday (as Valentine's Day is this week). Aren't they cute? They really hit the spot too, they were exactly what I was hungry for. They tasted kind of like a cross between shortbread, cornbread, and a sugar cookie . . . so tasty :)
Cornmeal cookies
I don't mean to brag, but I think mine are prettier than Martha Stewart's ;)
My Valentine's Day present from my valentine :) 
Secondly, I made a tomato-peanut soup. I had high hopes for it because it sounded so interesting (peanut butter, tomatoes, and curry powder), but unfortunately, it wasn't as good as the black bean soup from last week. It might be just because I'm not the biggest fan of hot peanut butter, but I didn't end up keeping the recipe.
Tomato-Peanut Soup
Also, I made a Mexican chicken pizza with cornmeal crust that was really tasty. The green onion flavor left me with bad breath all evening, but other than that, it was very good and really easy to make too. I just used the plain diced tomatoes (actually I used whole canned tomatoes and chopped them up), but I think the fire-roasted would make it taste even better. I will definitely make this again.
Mexican chicken pizza with cornmeal crust
Finally, I tried a new chocolate chip cookie recipe that I found on Pinterest. Supposedly, it was a copycat recipe of Mrs. Field's cookies, but I don't think I've ever had one of those, so I couldn't tell you whether it tasted like one or not. I thought they were a little overly sweet, but I blame myself for trying a new recipe. My lovely friend Kerry's mom makes the best chocolate chip cookies in the world, in my humble opinion. I was lucky enough to get her recipe and that is the one I always go to . . . I should have known better than to try anything else. Oh well, now I know for next time.

So, have any of you tried any of these recipes yet? Oh, I almost forgot to tell you, I used a Keurig for the first time this week too, that counts as learning something new, right? It was fun. Anyways, I hope you are all enjoying reading about my adventures every week. Stay tuned for more fun next week :)

4 comments:

  1. This is so funny. I saw the peanut soup and thought, ooo, it looks like one I tried from an African cookbook once. (Library.) Then my friend who happens to be living in Africa right now posted a recipe for a peanut based soup. No curry, but a spice they call Peper (pe-pay). Her blog is private so I doubt this will work, but if it does you can read about it here:
    http://outofafricahoffedition.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/groundnut-stew/
    She really likes it, so maybe it's the peper?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't know what it was, I was just not a fan at all. Oh well, that's why I try the recipes, right? If they don't make the cut, they get recycled. The link didn't work, but thanks for sharing the info :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried a tomato-peanut soup before, but I have done a sweet potato and peanut soup that I like a lot (similar ingredients). My go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe is Jacques Torres'. The big secrets being just the right amount of salt, cooling the dough over night, and taking them out of the oven at the right time (before they look done). Keep up the good-looking recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback T.J. I'll have to give that chocolate chip cookie recipe a try sometime, although mine probably won't turn out as nice as yours (I love your blog btw). You're going to have to give me some food photography tips . . . your pictures are lovely. Since we live fairly close I think, we should have a "Chopped" night or something, you would probably win, but it would be really fun :)

      Delete