Saturday, April 21, 2012

Running - Week 3

Alright, I thought that two miles was a fine enough distance to run, but I’ve made the crazy challenge for myself and have to try and run three miles every day this week, so we’ll see if I can do it or not . . .it’s going to be tough.

Day 15 – Whew, I don’t know if I can do that again . . .three miles is hard! It was both windy and humid today, I feel so icky now. It was such a busy weekend, I just want to rest.

Day 16 – Whew again. I ran faster today, but it was still very windy. I’ve decided three miles is just too long, I don’t know how long I can keep this up. My knees, hips, and ankles were all not happy with me at the start of the run today . . .this is not a good sign.

Day 17 – Today I took it a little bit slower. My legs were very tight. I think I’ve reached point where my body is telling me I need to take a break. Well TOO BAD body, you have a lot of running to do yet! I really don’t understand why anyone does this for fun; I did not enjoy it today at all. My legs finally loosened up after about 2.75 miles . . .that figures. Another thing that made today more difficult was that my shoe came untied after about a mile and a half. I probably should have stopped to tie it, but that is against my strict unwritten rule that “Thou shalt not stop”. What have I gotten myself into?

Day 18 – So while I ran today I managed to rant to my husband for the entire time (trust me, with the nonsense that was going on at work, you would be ranting too). Usually I’m very against talking while I run, but this was something I definitely had to get out, so rant I did. Of course this made my time much slower (the slowest mile time yet), but it made running go by much faster. Kind of backwards, but it’s true. Although “pounding the pavement” (and ranting) helped me to get some of my frustrations out, I am still not convinced I could ever be a real runner.

Day 19 – (To the tune of “Singin’ in the Rain”) I’m running in the rain, just running in the rain, not a glorious feeling, but I’m moving again. I’m wet and I’m cold, but I’ll be home soon. Just running, running in the rain! J

My lovely fuzz puff :) 
Day 20 – Oof . . .I am so stiff today. My husband and I must have looked like really old people hobbling along as we began our run because we were both very stiff. It definitely took a while to loosen up. Also, I felt like the robins were either teasing me or encouraging me along . . . there were a lot of them on the path, and they always seemed to be just a little ways ahead of me. Also, I think I was carrying and extra five pounds in my tummy today from all of the good (and exotic) food at the work potluck. Unfortunately, that food (or acid reflux or something) started bothering my stomach at about mile 1.5 . . . after that, running was pretty miserable. I felt like I was just limping home (but I wasn’t really limping), it just took so much effort not to stop. Other than the utter disappointment I would feel about not completing a daily challenge after I’ve made it this far, today was the first day I think I would have felt much better if I had not run . . .I hope I feel better tomorrow! In other news, the fuzz puffs (dandelions gone to seed) were out in abundance today. My husband picked one for me as we ran to make me feel better J I’ve included a picture of it with this post.
Day 21 – Ugh, my tummy is still not happy this morning, but running was a little easier today than it was yesterday. I ran by myself for most of the run as my husband ran much faster than I did today. This was a morning run, and it was a little cooler out, but it was pretty nice running weather. I’m proud of myself for running this many days in a row, but I am so ready to be done running! I did have an interesting Bible thought while I was running today as the verse about “running the race before you” popped into my head ("Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith." Hebrews 12:1-2a). I realized that I really focus too much on this earth and the temporal things around me instead of on heaven and on my ultimate prize, and I think this distracts me and makes me “run” (figuratively speaking about running my race of faith and life) slower . . .I need to work on that. Additionally, in my search for that Bible reference, I also found another fitting verse, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air." (1 Corinthians 9:24-26). And I hope that one day I will be able to say with the Apostle Paul (2 Timothy 4:7) "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

I can’t believe that I made it through three mile week. That is pretty amazing to me. Unfortunately, that jump from two miles to three miles was really rough, so I don’t know what to expect next week. I’m a little worried that my body is just going to break down and I’m not going to be able to finish it, but I’m young, I can do it . . .right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment