Monday, June 30, 2014

2014 - Book 19

"A Beautiful Dark" - Colorado

This was actually a really interesting book. I liked the characters and I thought the story was really original. Some of the plot twists were a little predictable, but it was still good. It's a story about a teenage girl who begins to have strange powers on her 17th birthday, and it coincides with the arrival of two strange new boys in town. When she gets to know them (and struggles with deciding which one she wants to date) she finds out more about herself, her past, and who is really in control of the universe. I don't want to give any spoilers, but it will make you look at angels in a new light. Really interesting story, I thought. I don't think I'm hooked enough to read the sequel, but it was a good book to read on a summer day :)

Here are a few recipes, two good and one bad, to share with you: marinated chicken, cheesy baked rice, and slow cooker steel cut oatmeal.

This marinade was really good, especially because it's easy to mix and match with whatever spices you like and have available. The first time we made it, I think it was better, but it was still good and easy both times. I just used it to marinade the chicken before we cooked it, I didn't do the freezing step, but I'm sure that would help enhance the flavors.

The next recipe was the cheesy baked rice. I don't know if it was because I used brown rice instead of white, but I even cooked it much longer and it was still crunchy and not done. It was also WAY too salty. So here's my warning . . . do NOT try this recipe. I figure it's good to share some failures and warn you off recipes from time to time as well as promoting most of the awesome recipes that I get to try.

And finally, slow cooker steel cut oatmeal. I thought I had shared this before, but I think I forgot. It is a super easy recipe and it SO good. It's my new favorite go-to oatmeal method. It has just the right amount of sweetness and creaminess . . . yum. I can make a full batch and eat it for breakfast for two weeks. Or make it for company with a variety of toppings = awesome breakfast oatmeal bar. I like to put cinnamon, nuts, milk, and some sort of fruit on mine . . . such a yummy breakfast. Give this one a try.

That's it for today, have a great week :)

2 comments:

  1. I will for sure try the steel cut oatmeal for George!

    ReplyDelete