Tuesday, July 15, 2014

2014 - Book 20

"Hex Hall" - Georgia
So, I was going to break my cycle of high school supernatural books, but I just watched the "Vampire Academy" movie, so I had to keep it going. This book was pretty much on par for most of the rest of the genre, and I enjoyed it. More interesting ideas about angels, demons, vampires, etc. abounded, and it had a pretty good plot line too. Again, it's another series that I will probably not finish, but I still enjoyed reading it. The basic plot is that a girl with pretty poor (uncontrolled) witch powers gets sent to a reform school for young witches, faeries, etc. because she showed her powers to humans. She has to juggle fitting in at the new school with trying to learn to use her powers and making friends with her new roommate, a vampire. There are some shady things going on at the school though and she finds herself in a very dangerous place. I don't want to get too much into the plot spoilers, but it was kind of a fun read. I'll try to pick a different type of genre for my next book though so I don't bore you too much :)

As for my recipes to share this week, I have crock pot BBQ ribs and s'more blossom cookies.

The crock pot ribs turned out just okay. Nothing too special to speak of. It was an easy recipe, but I don't think I'll use it again. The cookies however were fantastic. I used Biscoff spread instead of cookie butter and it was magical. Eating one of these just a few minutes after taking them out of the oven was the closest thing to having a s'more inside the house that I've ever had. I love s'mores, so this was definitely a good find. Seriously, go find some Biscoff spread or cookie butter and make these . . . you won't regret it (unless you're one of those weirdos who doesn't like marshmallows or s'mores).  ;)
Mmm . . . s'mores
I hope you all have a good week (full of s'more blossom cookies).

2 comments:

  1. OK....what is Biscoff spread? I have baked for years, read oodles of cookbooks, and never heard of this. Do fill me in! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's essentially a spread (like Nutella) that tastes like those Biscoff cookies that you used to get on airplanes. Kind of graham cracker tasting. Cookie butter (found at Trader Joe's I think) is similar. It's very good . . . you should try it. I found it at Wal-Mart by the peanut butter.

      Delete