Saturday, February 15, 2014

2014 - Book 8

"Wake" - Michigan
I had no idea this book was set in Michigan until I looked at the US of YA list after reading it. I guess they did drive up to Canada one day, so I could have guessed it was somewhere in the northern US, but other than that, it wasn't very obvious.
I did enjoy this book though. Too much foul language, but a really interesting concept. I don't want to give the whole story away for anyone who wants to read it, but essentially, the main character gets sucked into other peoples dreams. So if someone dozes off in study hall, she has a real problem because her body gets all rigid and it looks like she's having a seizure and she can't control it. Throughout the book she learns how to deal with it better and it actually becomes a pretty cool talent. It's crazy some of the things people dream about, that's for sure. This is the first book in a trilogy, so it leaves room for more story at the end, but it still has a decent amount of closure, so that's good too. Overall, not an excellent book, but still intriguing and fun to read.

In other news, I tried this new method of cooking rice in an attempt to get more "restaurant-quality" rice. Honestly, I don't think it made that much of a difference, but it was still good rice. Plus, I got to make it on my NEW STOVE. I'm very excited about it :)
Isn't it beautiful? 
An update for the crock pot meals too: the curry chicken with cabbage and peppers was just okay, I didn't really like it. It definitely needed salt and pepper added. My other stove-top curry recipe is much better. However, the sloppy tamale pie over cornbread was pretty good. It doesn't taste too much different than chili on cornbread, but it was pretty tasty.

That's all for this week, hope you are all doing well :)

2 comments:

  1. Love the look of the new stove!! The book sounds kind of strange though. Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete