Monday, March 12, 2012

A Tale of Two Cities - Part 9

Chapter 6

  • I'm really starting to get into this book now, but I fear the ending won't be a happy one (and I really only like happy endings). 
  • This chapter is at least a happy oasis in the story, Charles has been set free thanks to Dr. Manette and is safely at their Paris home with his family.
Chapter 7
  • I knew it . . .the Defarges accused Charles of something, and back to prison he goes :( 
Chapter 8
  • Finally, we get to meet Miss Pross' brother Solomon (she claims he was the only man good enough to marry Lucie, although the reader is told that he is really a good-for-nothing). 
  • Mr. Cruncher (Jerry) was brought to Paris to assist Mr. Lorry and he recognizes Solomon and Mr. Carton . . .who knew he was going to show up! . . .ID's Solomon as John Barsad, one of the men who falsely accused Charles in the beginning of the book.
  • As it turns out, John Barsad is still working with Cly (the man who had that riotous funeral back in England . . .the "Bailey Spy"). Jerry knows Cly isn't dead because he tried to grave rob his casket and found that Cly wasn't in it. Mr. Carton is shrewd and can use this information against John Barsad (ooo, blackmail) . . .he has a plan. 
Chapter 9
  • I fear I might know what Mr. Carton's grand plan is, that he will try and pass himself off as Charles to get Charles freed to be with his family. I didn't like Mr. Carton before, but now I kind of do, he seems very smart. 
  • Mr. Carton buys some chemicals that are dangerous when mixed . . .I wonder what they could be (I really should know this). 
  • Mr. Carton quotes the Bible, John 11:25-26 (KJV): "I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die." That makes me like him even more :)
  • It is claimed that Dr. M. has denounced Charles in a letter that he wrote while he was imprisoned in the Bastille (what Defarge was searching for after the storming of the Bastille . . .I guess he found what he was looking for after all). :S
Chapter 10
  • Dr. Manette's letter denounce everyone in the Marquis' family for horrible treatment of a peasant family when Charles was only 2 years old. 
  • Because of this, Charles is sentenced to death :(

Oh no! What is going to happen now? I can only imagine what Dr. M. was feeling at this time, I'm sure he didn't regret denouncing the Marquis and his brother as they truly had done horrible things, but that he denounced all the Evremonde (Charles' true last name) family, he is surely regretting now. How this will hurt his precious daughter . . .what would you do if you were in Dr. M.'s shoes? 

2 comments:

  1. I love it that you "really only like happy endings." I'm definitely the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I feel like a wuss for only liking happy endings, but real life is often so disappointing, why not read about happy things in the make believe world?

      Delete